Monday, April 3, 2017

Georgia Death Race -- 68 ish Miles of pure...

I could say all sorts of nasty words to describe this race, but then I'd be lying.   The course was challenging, the weather perfect and the volunteers encouraging.  Despite the murderous climbs, this was a joy to run.

Georgia Death Race...just the name makes you want to reconsider.  Anything with the name 'Death' in it needs to be taken seriously.  In researching it, it sounded perfect for me.  40k of elevation change over 68ish miles from Vogel State Park to Amicolola Falls State Park.  Perfect!  I love mountain courses and needed a spring race.  In addition, this was a good next step as I prepare for my first 100 mile race in the fall.  Even the rumors that had the course closer to 74 miles didn't bother me, as there are very few options between 100k and 100 miles.  The race sold out in 49 minutes this year, so it's become popular in the 5 years it's been going on.  It's also a Western States Qualifier and a Golden Ticket race.  That means that the field was going to be bigger and have some elites in it trying to get automatic entrance to Western States.  For those not familiar, Western States is the Boston Marathon of the ultra world.  You must qualify using a number of races, mainly 100 milers, but a few 100k races as well, then enter a lottery.  For GDR, to get a lottery ticket, you needed to finish under 21 hours, while the overall cut-off is 24 hours.

The course and elevation profile from Trail Run Project, the course is the blue line.  My Suunto gps lasted the entire time without recharging, but I somehow paused it for over 2 miles, so I am missing some data.


My goals for this race were simple:  Finish with a smile, get a WS lottery ticket and gain confidence in my abilities to finish the Bear in Sept.  I accomplished all of the above!

Mark and I flew down a few days early to check out a golf community about 2 hours east of the race. We had a relaxing few days golfing.  On Friday, we headed over to Dahlonega.  There is about a 1.5 hour drive from the start to the finish.  We found a cute retreat mid-way between the start and finish to call home base for the weekend, which allowed Mark to drop me off for the 5am start, yet be close enough to get to the finish to pick me up at the end.

Check-in was a bit chaotic on Friday evening, as I think everyone had the same idea to be at the early mandatory pre-race briefing, so they could try to sleep.  Also, since there was a mandatory gear list, they were checking it (and it was also checked on the course)  So, we ended up waiting till the late briefing, getting dinner and heading off to bed. I don't think I got much sleep, even with two alarms set for 3 am.  Lesson for next time, eat an early dinner and wait for the late check-in.


We had to re-check in on race morning to ensure everyone was accounted for and get an un-engraved railroad spike to carry with us.  We would trade this in at the end for an engraved finishers spike.  I had been carrying mine around since training camp in Feb.  So I was ready to be rid of it.



At 5 am, we started up the pavement and out to the trailhead for the start of the long day.  I found a comfortable pace and tried to keep it under control.  I noticed that my headlamp would not go into high and it was bothering me.  I couldn't figure it out, since it had fresh batteries and worked the night before.  About a mile in, we had to cross a road, there was a car there with headlights on, so I stopped and swapped out batteries.  That worked and I was much more comfortable.

The temps were predicted to start out cool and get warm as the day went on.  It did.  I was glad I started out in a long sleeved-shirt and gloves, especially on the ridgelines with the breeze blowing.  By mile 28, I shed the long-sleeves and was good till later in the evening.  The fog came in as the sun was coming up, so no spectacular sunrises, but everything cleared up and the temps rose quite a bit.  There was an occasional breeze, but in the valleys it was still and quite balmy.






Around mile 18, I caught up with Helen, who had taken an early start.  She was looking good and in good spirits.  A great volunteer stood at the turn for the out/back section down to Skeehan Gap and  mile 21 aid station.  This was a crew access point for some (due to capacity, the first two crew access stations were split), so there were plenty of spectators.  The downside to this, was you had to climb the 1.5 miles back uphill.  However, being an out/back, you also saw other runners.  It was good to see Dewaynne, Mar, Rocky, Jessica and Brad as they made their way down.  From there, I made it to my drop bag at mile 28 and proceeded to stock up for the next few sections.



As I said, the temps started rising once the clouds went away.  I was eating aid station food, as well as my Picky Bars and Wild Zora Bars, in addition to drinking water, tailwind and chicken broth. Around mile 36ish, my tummy started feeling icky and the nausea set in.  I took some salt tabs and a ginger chew to help settle it a bit, but that only lasted for a few miles.  As I came into the mile 41 aid station, the captain, whom i had met the night before asked what I needed.  I said a hug and despite being sweaty and grimy, he provide just that.  Then lots of ginger ale.  I sat down (something I rarely do) to try to settle my tummy.  It worked for a bit.  As I left that aid station, we started on gravel forest service road.  Never was I so glad to be off the single track.  At least the climbs would be reasonable (famous last words, the climb from Jake Bull to Nimblewill was painful).  Even worse was the Appalachian Approach Trail, with the rocks and roots that seemed to go on forever. in the dark.







The nausea would continue all the way until Nimblewill (9 miles remaining).  I really wanted to puke, but couldn't even do that.  At one point I thought I had a chance of finishing in 19 hours, but I sacrificed some time due to the nausea and only power hiking some flat roads. Finally, I had the thought to ask for some Tums and that worked!  I ran most of the last 9 miles in, although slow.  I hit the bottom of the falls just after midnight.  While my goal was 20 hours, when I was working my pace sheet prior to the race, it had me at 19:45.  So when I hit the falls shortly after midnight, I knew I had some moving to do to make that 'goal'.  I climbed the 600 stairs (and the uphill hike to them) as fast as I could.  I came down the trails moving as fast as I could, almost wiping out on one steep section just before the river.  I completed that section in about 36 minutes!

I came through the river (the race director blocks the bridge and makes you get your feet wet just prior to the finish line), to a hug from the Run Bum himself.  I proudly handed him my un-engraved spike and received the engraved one from him.




 This was my longest race to date and I not only survived, but I crushed it!   I trained hard over the last 12 weeks to accomplish this goal.  While my quads are sore from the downhills, my achilles seems to have taken the brunt of the run.  My right one was bruised and a bit swollen.  Odd, since I've never had a problem before.  I did have a few blisters for the first time ever as well.  One on the top of my foot and another on the toe that I did even notice.

Never have I kept such a positive mindset during a race.  I am taking an online class offered by Travis Macy based on his book ' The UltraMindset'.  Travis has daily emails and lessons based on each of the chapters.  So far, I am 4 weeks into the course and it's been very intriguing and insightful.  I kept reminding myself of the different lessons that the class offers, such as 'it's all mental training' and 'finding my carrot'.  I kept reminding myself that this was training for Bear and that if it was easy everyone would do it.  My extrinsic motivation turned out to be knowing that I had numerous friends and family cheering me on.  While the cell phone connection wasn't the best, it was so great to get a text from Mark and Nettie late in the race with encouragement and to see a note on FB from Colleen and everyone responding to it.  It was much appreciated!

I took away a few lessons from this:

1.  Definitely don't be afraid to sit down and regroup at aid stations.  After mile 41, I sat for about 5 min at each to let my stomach settle and get food into me
2.  Although I thought I had my nutrition figured out, it still could use improvement.  Back to the drawing board
3.  Practice night running after a full day at work.  I was unable to do any day to night transition runs prior for this race.  I needed the reminder of how much difficult it was after running for 17 plus hours when the sun goes down.
4.  Running the course prior is a definite plus, especially the parts that will be in the dark.  I was able to attend the training camp held in Feb.  Knowing that the end of the run was pretty technical, but no worries about getting lost was helpful, as I didn't have worry about looking for course markings.  I was able to concentrate on running and not falling on the rocks.
5.  Having the right mindset is a must.  Confidence in your training and yourself!

Now for some needed rest and downtime before the next big race in the fall...The Bear 100!



No comments:

Post a Comment