Friday, June 29, 2018

Memories of WSER

So here's the promised second post on the memories of such an iconic race.

Memory 1:  Driving up to Squaw and looking up the mountain I would climb a few mornings later.  Mark and I played golf on Thursday afternoon at Squaw and I kept looking at the climb in awe.





Memory 2:  Meeting coach Corrine for the first time.  In this day of virtual everything, I had not yet met Corrine, despite working with her for over a year.  We had spoken on the phone many times, but never actually met. As I mentioned in my earlier post, CTS was crewing for the athletes at Robinson Flat (mile 30), Foresthill (mile 62) and Point Rocks (mile 94.5).  They had an open house on Thursday night so we could leave drop bags and chat with the team.  Mark and I stopped by for a bit and met the crew that would be helping me.  Coach Koop would laugh later at Pointed Rocks, when the first thing I was asking at each stop was about Corrine.  It sounds like she was asking about me as well.  I was so happy to hear she had finished as F9!





Memory 3: The atmosphere at packet pickup and the start line.  It was charged with excitement.  The sponsors all had booths and all the athletes that I've admired from afar are walking around and chatting with everyone.  


Memory 4:  The start was crazy.  I got to see my friend Eric, a fellow Eagle from NE OH.  Debbie took a picture of us together at the start, as well as one with Mark.  A few announcements were made and the countdown proceeded.  A shotgun start and we were off.  I stopped a few times on the climb to take in the view and the scene.  Fog formed over the golf course below.  The line of runners going up the mountain.  The crowds at the top of Escarpement.  Seeing Eric Schranz from ultrarunnerpodcast playing his alpenhorn.  









Another thing I noted was the lack of conversation going up the hill.  There were a few people chatting, but not many.  Was that because it was a climb?  I'm not sure.  I've done other races that started out with big climbs and the conversation was flowing.  I wonder if because of the lottery if odds of friends getting in are slimmer.  I did have to laugh at two of the conversations that I was in throughout the race...after I mentioned I was from OH, both assumed that Burning River was my qualifier.  Interesting that that's the race that is known in OH...although Mohican is also a qualifier.  For the record Georgia Death Race was my qualifier (Bear is also qualifier,  but you only get one ticket race a year to count).


Memory 5:  The high country was a lot more technical than I expected.  Lots of rocks and loose dirt.  Beautiful vistas.  The river at the bottom Duncan Canyon was a sight to see, as it was starting to get hot as we headed down into it.  Sat down and splashed water on myself to cool off.



Photo Credit:  Tonya Perme

Memory 6:  Robinson Flat was crazy.  While other aid stations had crew access, this was a crazy busy station, the energy was amazing.  I saw Debbie as I came in.  Iced up and found the CTS crew.  Change of socks were in order after all the rocks and dirt that I had run through.  Adam St Pierre laughing at my tan lines on my feet ( I wear Xero sandals for my golf shoes, so I have crazy tan lines). One of the crew's little girl trying to help me by wiping off my legs (it was quite cute).   Koop pulling my buff over my head instead of my hood.  I couldn't figure out why it was so tight and choking me.  We finally figured that out and got me straighten out.  The advice from AJW on the aid stations on the way to Michigan Bluff.  He told me the ladies at Dusty Corners were top-notched and he wasn't joking.  They rocked it when I got there!  They had a great laugh when I told them my ear-worm that seemed to be sticking around (excerpts from Jesus Christ Superstar).  My 'handler', Deanna, loved my attitude so much, that she wanted a picture with me. That's too funny.





Memory 7:  The heat of the canyons.   After leaving Last Chance at mile 43, you drop down to the swinging bridge prior to the long climb to Devil's Thumb.  You could feel the heat building up as you descended. The climb up to Devil's Thumb was not easy.  It was a million times worse than I recalled from a few weeks prior on the training run.  While I didn't jump in the river, I did get wet at the natural spring just after the bridge (exactly where AJW had said it was).    


I wish I would have taken a picture or could recall exactly where, but somewhere between Last Chance and El Dorado Creek, there was guy in an RV, playing  'Chariots of Fire' on a cello.  I laughed and told him thank you, as I needed the motivation this trail angel provided.  It brought a smile to my face!  Later we would see a gal playing a guitar singing running songs on the trail down to No Hands Bridge.


Memory 8:  Michigan Bluff and Foresthill aid stations.  Crazy busy with crews and spectators.  Great to see Debbie, who walked with me as far as she could getting me to eat and focus.  Getting to Foresthill was a relief.  I was an hour behind my planned arrival time and it was quickly getting dark.  Again the CTS crew rocked it.  I told them I wanted out of the chair in a certain time and they had me out and moving.  David and Jim (my soon to be pacer) walking/running me to Cal Street section of the course.





Memory 9:  Coming around the corner on the single track and seeing skunks scatter in front of me.  5 babies, but never did see mom.  I was very cautious getting by them.  The last thing  I needed at this point was getting sprayed.


Hallucinations...once again, my hallucinations were during daylight hours.  Actually the first was between Robinson Flat and Last Chance.  I saw some really fancy futuristic motorcycles on the side of the trail.  No people around.  Turns out it was pile of logs.  After the sun came up, I started seeing flocks of song birds landing on the trail, but not moving when we got close.  Or turtles (which is what I felt like).  Finally however, we saw a lizard and when it really moved as I almost stepped on it, I knew it was real!


Memory 10:  The American River crossing at Rucky Chucky.  That was an experience to remember.  After eating some food and collecting myself at the near side, I had a lighted necklace placed around my neck and a personal flotation device put on.  I then stepped into the river.  Volunteers stood along the way in the cold water to guide me along the rope.  Lights were on the bottom of the river to show me where to put my feet.  One step put the water above my waist.  I hate to think how high it went on some of the shorter folks.  I did a complete clothes change on the far side and felt refreshed.



The almost full moon rising above the mountains and reflecting on the river as I ran/hiked beside it was beautiful.

It was at the river that I picked up Jim as my pacer.  The first 2 miles are all uphill, so we got into a strong powerhike. When we hit single track, we tried having him leading, but that didn't seem to work as well as when he was behind me.  I am very thankful for having him ask to pace me.  It helped more than I ever imagined.  We chatted here and there, but eventually fell into that quiet that works well for me, with occasional prodding from him to keep moving.  He was determined to help get me to the finish line in the 27th hour...and we did.

Coming into Pointed Rocks, it was great to see Koop and Adam again.  They helped take my pack while handing me my handheld.  I ran out of there knowing I had a 10k left.  After crossing No Hands Bridge, my left leg started bugging me and I had to hike a very runnable section.  However, the climb to Robie didn't seem as bad as I recalled.  

Memory 11:  Seeing my friend Deirdre as I came up from Robie Point.  Funny story:  I saw another person just as I was starting my climb to Robie, who to me at the time,  looked like Deirdre.  I called her name but to my embarrassment, it wasn't her.  However, she immediately knew who I was talking about.  Everyone knows Deirdre!




Memory 12:  The finish.  Stepping on the track was, well, I can't describe the feeling.  I had made it and had only to make my way around to the other side and be a finisher.  Mark was there waiting for me like the great husband he is.  Coming around the corner the announcer tells the crowd who is on the way down the stretch.  I came through the finish line, proud and victorious in my endeavor.










The finish was only part of it.  The ceremony was held graduation style, calling each runner up with their finishing time to give them their buckles. 191/299th.  Not bad in my opinion.  




The CTS crew and athletes.


Afterwards, Mark and I left for Monterey and some golf at Poppy Hills on Monday.  I had all intentions on using a cart, but when it was cart path only, we decided that walking was going to be easier on me, so I used a cart...


I'm sure there will be more pictures, as there were a number of photographers along the course.  I'm really excited to see what they captured, especially the one crossing the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment