Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Western States Training Camp

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on this blog.  Many apologies.  I've been training like crazy and this blog took a backseat to life in general.  Training has been going well. I've had a few days where things didn't meld, but that's to be expected.  All training can't be perfect, or you are not pushing yourself hard enough.  I've had days where Mark had to kick me out of the house to go running, but I've also had days where everything just clicked.

I did a 50 mile at Big Turtle 50 mile in April as a training race.  (I guess I need to go back and do a report on it.   Bottom Line:  Great race, from start to finish.  I finished strong in 3rd place. )  Also in early May did a 20 mile and a night run to test out my equipment that I haven't used much.  That was helpful, as there were some issues to figure out.

Every year over Memorial Day weekend, the WSER organizers host a training camp on the last 70ish miles of the course (plus an additional ~3.5 to get to/from buses).  It's open to anyone, so you don't have to be running to sign up.  The admission price gets you buses to the start or finish each day, aid stations and lunch afterwards.  If you know your WSER trivia, there's swag for grab prior to the run each day.  Just yell out the answer, or what you think the answer is.  There was even a massage available afterwards.  Talk about a great deal.  While the aid stations were not as numerous as they will be on race day, it was perfect for training.  This is a win-win for the organizers, as they get to test out new equipment and start oiling the machine in prep for the 'big dance'. 

Day 1:  Robinson Flat to Foresthill (~31 miles, 4600' ascent, 8600' descent)

This year the snow pack is down dramatically over last year, so they were able to bus us to Robinson Flat (last year, runners had to hike an additional 4 miles to get there).  The day started out rainy and cold.  Temps were not going to climb much into the 70's if at all and it stayed overcast all day.  Not exactly what race day conditions will be in the canyons.  However, I was surprised at how shaded this area was with the trees.  I was expecting more exposure to the sun.  The descents were long and in some places steep and the climbs were just as long and steep.  I'd get to the top of a climb and be soaked in sweat and start freezing due to the temps and breeze.  But, once on the descent, I'd dry up and be fine.  Plenty of small stream crossings to cool off in on race day (unless they dry up by then).  There were several good views throughout the route.  The descent to swinging bridge and the climb to Devil's Thumb were crazy.  At times the rocky descent reminded me of PA with the technical trails.  Other times, it was smooth as silk.







Betty's western cousin, Roxy, hanging out near the course at Last Chance:









The only major water crossing without a bridge on this section.  There was no way to not get your feet wet.

From the drive out to Foresthill in the morning with the low clouds over the American River

Day 2: Foresthill to Rucky Chucky (~16 miles, 1200' ascent, 3800' descent)

The temps got a bit higher today, into the high-80s.  This section is mainly downhill, but it does have a few serious climbs.  This was more exposed than yesterday and more like what I was expecting.  Another great run down to the river crossing.  Even got to just sit in the river and cool off prior to starting the hike up to the bus (some of those bonus miles not on the course).  While we waited for the bus, lunch was available and it was a great time to just chat with other runners.  One of the ladies I was chatting with is doing the Grand Slam (Western, Vermont, Leadville and Wasatch in same year).  I'll be rooting for her.  Turns out her and her husband had run Bear last year, which is how we started chatting.





Down to the river crossing at Rucky Chucky.  Stairs at this point in the race are going to be painful!



Looking across at the other side of the river.  There will be wires strung across for race day.  And each person wears a flotation device for saftey purposes.  No boat this year.



Day 3: Green Gate to Finish (~20 miles, 2500' ascent, 2700' descent)

This time the bonus miles were at the start, down to Green Gate (we seeing missed ~1.8 miles from river crossing to Green Gate).    This was going to be a hot day.  Temps were predicted to be in the mid 90's and they were.  This area was pretty exposed, but also relatively flat (the scale below makes it look worse than it was).  Then they add a gratuitous climb from No Hands Bridge to Robie Point at the end.  However, once you get to Robie Point, you have 1 mile of mainly downhill to the track.  I didn't step on the track, as I wanted to keep that bit of reverence for the finish.  Call it superstitious if you want, but that's my rationale.




My camera kept fogging up in my pack and there were not a lot of views on this section. Looking across No Hands Bridge:


Top of Robie Point, 1 mile left in the race when I get to this point!



Overall this was a great weekend.  I got a good feeling for the course.  My legs hurt from the downhills and the long days of running, but it's a good hurt.  I can see why everyone says the race begins at Foresthill.  I got a chance to practice my nutrition and even found that the electrolyte drink offered at the race (Cliff) didn't upset my stomach, either yesterday or today.  So now I have options on race day if I run out of Spring Energy.  I am glad I got to do this.  I also met quite a few runners that I'll most likely see many times throughout the race.  That will be nice.


25 days left till #seeyouinsquaw !


No comments:

Post a Comment