Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Volunteering

So I spent a weekend volunteering at High Lonesome 100.  This was supposed to be my race for 2018, until I had the best of luck of getting selected to run Western States.  I still wanted to participate in HL, so while I deferred my entry till 2019 (yes, I plan on running it next year), I traveled to CO to volunteer in any way they needed.

I flew out of OH on 31 Jul dodging thunderstorms and rain.  I made it to Colorado Springs the next day, after spending the night in Wichita KS.  I was amazed at how busy ATC was over the middle of no-where.  I could barely listen to music.  The nerve of everyone talking in such clear weather and barely a town in view..

I did a short run on Wed after arriving in Salida:





The next morning, i went for a longer run on the HL course.  I started out at Monarch and went towards Hancock (backwards on the course).  I kept going farther and farther, even though I was running out of time.  I kept wanting to see what was over the next ridge...  It was a bit smoky, but it was amazing.  At one point while I was photographing the lakes, an F-16 did a low-level flight almost directly over me!







Finally, I got to the High School to help with aid station organization.  When I arrived, Kelsey (Aid Station Director) introduced me to Sabrina who was also helping out.  We started organizing and separating what each station needed per the checklists.  As we were chatting, I finally realized that Sabrina was the winner of 2018 Hardrock 100. I would meet Avery the next day after they had spent the day on the pass playing board games near the St Elmo aid station that I was working.  It was amazing all the different equipment that was needed.  And how much all the different races assisted each other.  Some of the gear was theirs, some sponsors, but other gear was borrowed from Hardrock or Ouray 100.  And the amount of food needed...Wow. I never saw so many bags of perogies in one place!

I spent the entire day helping with aid station organization as well as loading the aid station captains' cars.  It was a lot of work, but fun.  Roch Horton was one of the captains that I assisted.  He and his wife had driven all the way from Salt Lake to help out.  I think some of the other captains came from even further away, but all were great people to chat with and help out.

I woke up early on Friday morning to see the start.  Afterwards, I took a short hike, then headed up to St Elmo's aid station (mile 25 & 37) for my aid station duties.  I had just missed the lead runner coming through, but got to see all the other runners make at least one trip through.  Those that I didn't see, I saw as I started my out on my sweep duties.  One poor soul was caught by me about 1.5 miles from the aid station on the way in.  He was already over cut-off, but I made sure he got in.  It was fun to chat with him, as he was part of the group from Atlanta that had come out for the race.

A small rain storm came through and cleared out the smoke while I was starting my shift at St Elmo.  Runners were steadily coming in.  Some were in better shape than others.  I helped one gal who was in tears and wanting to puke.  We got her tums, broth and crackers.  I was so glad to see her come back a few hours later smiling and even watch her finish.  She told me that while the nausea never went away, she was very appreciative of the support. 

I then swept the section to Cottonwood and back to St Elmo's.  12 miles round trip with lots of vertical gain.  The rain from the morning cleared the smoke out for some beautiful views.

Courtesy of Mile 90 Photography









The next day, I got up early and headed over the Fooses Aid station at mile 72 (I think).  I hiked the 7 miles back up to Monarch, again seeing all the runners come in.  As I got to Monarch a few minutes before the cut-off, I saw a few folks heading out.  I warned them that I didn't want to see them till the finish.  They listened, as I didn't catch them on my return trip (they did have over an hour headstart and it was all downhill). 

So what to do after all this: head to the finish line and cheer in the runners.  While there, I was once again called into action to help keep the tents upright as the wind was picking up and storms were brewing...

Courtesy of Mile 90 Photography

Shortly before the awards ceremony, the skies started letting loose and lightening was hitting the mountain tops, so unfortunately the party was cut a bit short.

On Sunday, I went for a final run to Brown's Lake.






Overall this was a great weekend.  I got to meet some great folks and support the community I have grown to love.  I encourage everyone to volunteer at a 100 mile (or any ultra).  It was a great experience!

Footnote:  I am so looking forward to this race next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment