Sunday, June 25, 2017

Exploring New Trails

So we went away this week to celebrate my grandma's 90th Birthday in NJ.  Mark was already in NJ/NY, so I flew out on Thursday to meet him.  While there, I got to wander around US Military Academy (West Point).  See photos here:  https://5byphoto.blogspot.com/2017/06/west-point-military-academy.html.
After Mark's meeting with the Superintendent on Friday, we hit Bear Mountain State Park in NY for what was originally to be an 11 mile loop.  Turns out they had the a portion of my planned loop closed off for fireworks that night, so after some bushwacking we made it an out-and-back.  Lots of rocks, roots and boulders.  We made it about 7 miles in the 2 hours I had planned.





We later drove down toward my grandma's in Piscataway.  While we woke up to rain, by the time we started running at Sourland Mountain Preserve it had cleared up.  We were quite surprised on how good of shape the trails were in.  Except of course where rivers where running down the trail.




(it's kinda funny that my shoes are blue and Mark's are red)

It was a down week, so I "only" ran 29 miles in just over 6 hours.  It was nice to run with Mark on some new trails.  While I like the variety, with the technical aspects of both of these trails, I'm not sure how much running I'd get if these were my normal training haunts.



No comments:

Post a Comment