Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Random Thoughts

I went running yesterday.  I mean really running.  The first time since the Bear that I have actually wanted to be out there running hard.  Yes, I've done some miles over the last 4 weeks, but if I got tired, I stopped and walked.  I'd lolly-gag when I wanted to.  Today, I pushed.  I wasn't planning on it, but I did.  Boy did it feel good to fly down those trails!  I wanted to run today, but the cold wet rain left me a bit lacking in motivation.  I know that I should train in conditions that I'm likely to run in, but I don't normally do that.  I'm a wimp that way.

One year ago yesterday, I celebrated my last day on active duty.  22 year, 5 months, and 19 days prior I was commissioned in the USAF.  There I was, ready to start again.  I had a job lined up (sort-of...consulting has nothing guaranteed).  I had two big races on the books for 2017, Georgia Death Race and the Bear 100.  My A races.  Wow, neither disappointed.  Tough and challenging and never to be forgotten.  And lessons learned.

I started my first year of retirement with those two running challenges.  The rest would fill in as needed.  I had a three daily goals that Mark insisted I do:  something physical, something fun, and something productive.  I tried hard to do those daily since starting terminal leave. (It was easy when golf season was in full swing, as it covered two of the three)

I didn't start working till mid-March.  A job that fit my desires perfectly.  I can work to my schedule, but am still using the skills the AF taught me.  And, even better, I don't have to deal with some of the bs that I still see the AF making everyone do.  I was asked the other day if it bothered me to not be in charge.  No, it doesn't it.  I kinda like making recommendations and not the decisions.  If they take it, great, if not... no lost sleep on my part.

I volunteer at the Metro Parks when I can.  Clearing invasive species of plants, building trails, monitoring the trails and even planting trees.  

And I can run or play golf as I desire.  Unfortunately, my golf game these last few years has been less than great.  But I still love to be out there swinging a club.  We had some great rounds over the last year.  Mark takes me to exotic locations, like Kansas!

As for running, well...Since retiring last year I have had a blast running.  I ran 5 ultra-marathons.  I volunteered at 2 and co-directed another.  I ran a great night 50k with one of my mentors in this crazy sport.  It was had to be 90 deg F when we started, with 90% humidity. She kicked my ass...

I spent a week camping (and sleeping in a tent) while training on the Bear course.  That same week, I ran a 50k that hit 10k elevation 4 times .  I smiled every step of the way.  I met some great folks that would help me through the Bear.

I beat my goal times at both GDR and Bear.

Wow!  I can only hope the next year lives up to this one.  I've got some plans and goals and dreams.  Now to see how they play out.

Let the scheming begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment