Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Zalseki, Lotteries, FOMO and 2018 plans...

It's been a while since I posted. As I noted in my last post (maybe I should post a bit more often?), I was in scheming mode.  I had a million webpages open looking for my perfect race for 2018. 

I had found it, researched it and even signed up for it.  High Lonesome 100 in Salida CO.  25K feet of climbing at an average elevation of over 11k.  Yikes!  It is small, only 100 runners (started out as 75, but they were able to open a few more slots).  I woke up early on the morning of registration and was ecstatic to find that it hadn't sold out.  I was in, hotel reserved and planning in full force for a training run.

Then the pesky lotteries...I had one ticket to each Western States 100 and Hardrock 100.  My chances were slim, so while I knew there was a chance, I didn't pay much attention.  I'd figure it out if (and when) my name was called.  I will admit, however, that I did wear my buckle from Bear to work the day before as good luck.

First, however, I had to start training again.  So Corrine got back to work to whip me in shape.  The worst so far an speed workout.  I called it the "longest 1.5 mins of my life, followed by the shortest 1.5 mins."  multiply that by 10...


On 2 Dec, I arranged an 'adventure' run down to Zaleski State Forest.  There is a big ~29 mile loop there.  What a great way to spend the day on new trails and hopefully with friends.  Given the timing, only Nathan was able to join me, but we had a blast.  We somehow managed to cross the trail and add a few extra miles for an even 50k.  Temps started out cold, but warmed up nicely (at least until the sun started going down). 



The trails were pleasantly runnable.  At times, it was hard to find the orange markings on trees and we managed to cross trails and double back on ourselves once, but a great outing non-the-less.  There were a few nice overlooks and lakes as well as rock out-croppings and an old furnace:





Somewhere along the route, Nathan's cell phone received a text message from his wife Jordan.  It was one of those rare spots that we had coverage.  She was watching the lotteries and my name was selected for WSER!  Wow I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  The odds were not in my favor, but  I was going to Squaw in Jun. 



I have spent the last 2 weeks digesting this news and weighing my options.  I really wanted run both WSER and High Lonesome (HL), and while I know I can do it, is it the right thing to do?  It's just that I have a minor case of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).  I don't want to miss out on HL.  It looks spectacular and my kind of race.  (not saying that WSER isn't, it's just a different race with the history and lore).

I'm sure many out there would say do both, but I decided otherwise.  I want to give both races the respect they deserve.  If I keep both on my schedule, then I'd go to WSER thinking I just want to survive so I can move to HL.  Then getting to HL, all I'd want to do is survive.  That's not me.  I want to give my all. That means I'll come away not only physically exhausted, but mentally as well.  It usually takes me a good 4-6 weeks to recover mentally. 

So wrapping up my thoughts: last night I sent an email to the HL race director asking for deferment to 2019.  It's the right thing to do.  I've also made myself a promise that I am not going to put in for lotteries and keep HL as my only big race of 2019.  I have also filled out the volunteer info sheet for them, so I am still going to go in 2018 and be apart of the race, but to support the runners.  In addition, by making this choice earlier, it allows someone on the waitlist to plan for their summer.

Now for WSER planning.  I only have one race on my calendar between now and then:  Mt Mitchell Challenge in Feb.  I am looking for another 50 mile/50k in April to give me another tune-up race, but that's it.  I am planning on going to the WSER training runs over Memorial Day weekend to get a feel for the last 70 miles of the course.  I know how much that helped me with Bear and every other race I've done.  I've got a long way till that track at Placer High School on 24 Jun, but it's a trail that I'm excited to be given the opportunity to run.


No comments:

Post a Comment